MEN’S SCOTTISH VARSITY MATCH 2023
Saturday 23 September, University Park, St Andrews
The University of St Andrews and the University of Edinburgh look forward to welcoming you to the Scottish Varsity Rugby Matches on Saturday at University Park in St Andrews for the continuation of this ancient rivalry between Scotland’s two oldest university rugby clubs.
- 12:30 gates open to spectators
- 13:15 Touch Rugby Match: St Andrews v Edinburgh
- 14:00 Scottish Varsity Match: St Andrews Men’s 1st XV v Edinburgh Men’s 1st XV
- 14:40 half-time
- 15:40 full time
- 15:45 presentations
- 16:30 Edinburgh spectator buses depart
- 17:00 close
Tickets for the 2023 Scottish Varsity Matches will be released on Monday 4 September. There are a limited number of tickets so purchase early to avoid disappointment.
St Andrews: tickets for students, staff and supporters
£6.00* includes transaction fee
- Tickets for St Andrews students, staff and supporters will be available from the University’s Online Shop until 11am on Saturday 23 September.
- Individuals can purchase a total of 10 tickets.
- Spectators will need to show a valid Scottish Varsity Match wristband to gain entry to the event.
St Andrews spectators will be able to collect their wristbands from Reception at the University Sports Centre, St Leonards Road, St Andrews, KY16 9DY at the following times:
Friday 22 September
- 1pm to 4pm
- 6pm to 8pm
Saturday 23 September
- 10am to 12pm – final wristband collection
Please bring your email confirmation as proof of purchase or a form of ID.
EDINBURGH: tickets for students, staff and supporters
£12.50* including returning bus travel to Edinburgh
- Tickets for Edinburgh students, staff and supporters will be available from the Sports Union Website.
- To make travel to St Andrews easier for Edinburgh supporters, tickets include subsidised bus transport from Edinburgh to and back from the match.
- At this time there are no match only tickets available.
- Buses will leave at 11am and arrive back at approximately 6pm from 5 locations around the city. When purchasing your ticket you will be asked from which location you wish to leave and arrive back from. Please note that you must leave from and return to the same location.
- Location 1: Peffermill Playing Fields
- Location 2: St Leonard’s Land
- Location 3: Pleasance Sport Complex and Gym
- Location 4: Pollock Halls
- Location 5: George Square
- Wheelchair accessible buses will be available from Peffermill and Pleasance Sport Complex and Gym
- Each location will have a limited number of tickets
- Your ticket receipt will provide instructions on how, where and when to collect your ticket
*Plus transaction fee
Access to the event will be restricted to those in possession of an official Scottish Varsity wristband. Spectators can enter the ground either from the Sports Centre or via the road to the Observatory next to the grandstand.
Please note that:
- the gates will be locked on St Leonards Road and at the Carnegie Pavilion
- seating in the grandstand is reserved
- spectators are not permitted within the roped off area of the pitch
Stewarding and security
Saints Sport staff and representatives from the University of St Andrews Security Team will be in place to provide support to the external security company who will be stewarding the event. They will be able to provide directions, advice and to check wristbands at the entry/exit points.
During the event, spectators can enjoy food and drinks provided by:
- Strathearn Food Company (Fish & Chips)
- BlackHorn Burgers (Burgers, Wraps, Hot Dogs)
- University of St Andrews Food Truck (Mexican)
- Bumblebean (Tea/Coffee)
- The Saint (Bar)
Please note strictly no alcohol is allowed to be brought on site.
Mobile toilets will be provided for spectators and will be situated on the hardstanding near the grandstand and in the portacabins at the Pavilion.
Spectators driving to the event are asked to park at the free Petheram Bridge Car Park (KY16 9JJ), a short walk from the pitches. There will be no event parking at the Sports Centre or the roads around University Park.
Edinburgh spectator buses will drop-off and collect passengers from Madras College, Bell Brae, St Andrews, KY16 9BY. Signage will be in place to guide you to the pitch, which is only a short 5-minute walk from the car park.
It is recommended that all St Andrews students arrive of foot where possible.
If you require accessible parking, please contact email@example.com.
- Admission to the Ground is subject to the presentation of a valid wristband and adherence to these Ground Rules, Entering the Ground shall be deemed to be an unqualified acceptance of the Rules.
- The University of St Andrews reserves the right for it and its representatives, servants and agents or the police or stewards to eject anybody from the Ground if they do not comply with the Rules, if they do not comply with any lawful directions of staff, the police, stewards or any other representatives, servants and agents of the University of St Andrews, or their presence may be a source of danger, nuisance or annoyance to others.
- Notwithstanding the above, The University of St Andrews reserves the general right to refuse admission to the Ground or to eject spectators from the Ground (acting reasonably).
- All spectators will be expected to adhere to all instructions issued regarding hygiene, distancing and general conduct at the Ground on a match day.
- Admission to the Ground will be at the designated point as indicated on the site plan at scottishvarsitymatch.com. Spectators must only attempt to enter the Ground at this designated point, or will risk being refused entry.
- Admission to the Ground may be denied or spectators may be ejected and liable for prosecution if they are in possession of:
- alcohol not obtained from authorised outlets within the Ground or are drunk;
- a firework or any article or substance whose main purpose is the emission of a flare or the emission of smoke or visible gas; or
- knives, weapons, dangerous or hazardous items, or any article that might be used as a weapon or compromise public safety
- a banner or flag that bears material or slogans which are offensive, obscene, abusive or of a racist, homophobic or discriminatory nature. (or any banner or flag of any nature which has a stick or pole longer than one metre and thicker than 2cm).
- Animals or livestock are not allowed in the Ground with the exception of guide dogs used for the purpose of directing the visually and hearing impaired
- Only persons authorised by The University of St Andrews can offer newspapers, periodicals, foodstuffs, drinks, souvenirs or any other articles for sale in the Ground.
- Spectators entering the Ground will be deemed to have consented to being searched to prevent unauthorised or dangerous articles being brought in.
- Unnecessary noise such as air horns, radio sets and behaviour likely to cause confusion or nuisance of any kind, including racist, foul and abusive language is not allowed.
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes) is not allowed
- Spectators must not enter the field of play at any time. Doing so may result in ejection.
- Drinks purchased in the Ground must not be taken outside the Ground.
- Spectators must obey emergency broadcasts or instructions given over the PA system or those made by Stewards.
- Spectators acknowledge that matches are public events and by entering the Ground they are deemed to have consented to being filmed and having their image broadcast and more generally exploited by any means on any media, throughout the world for the duration of the exploitation of the match, waiving all rights and actions seeking to oppose such exploitation. Accompanying parents, guardians or responsible adults will be deemed to have provided this consent on behalf of any spectators who are under the age of consent.
- CCTV is in use throughout the Ground and images are recorded for the purpose of maintaining the security of the property and premises, preventing and investigating crime and managing public safety.
- Onsite parking for the match will be by permit only. We ask all visitors to respect our local community and parking restrictions in the area.
STAY VARSITY MATCH FIT
The University of St Andrews and University of Edinburgh are committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for Varsity Spectators and the wider community who reside near Saints Sport, University Park.
Spectators are responsible for their conduct and for the conduct of their guests and are reminded that the Scottish Varsity Matches are a joint University of Edinburgh and University of St Andrews event. Please see our Stay Varsity Match Fit information for more details.